Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Today's Authtoberfest featured author is Yvonne Ventresca





Let's see what Yvonne had to say about reading, writing and zombies!


1. It’s the zombie apocalypse and writers have got to stick together to survive. Pick 3 authors to be on your zombie apocalypse killing team and tell us why you’d choose them.
Yvonne says: Jenny Lawson, The Bloggess, (http://thebloggess.com/) because she’s incredibly funny and humor helps in a tense survival situation.
Jim Cobb, the author of a number of prepper books (http://survivalweekly.com/books-by-jim-cobb), because he would be prepared.
Any of the writers from The Walking Dead. They’ve clearly given the zombie apocalypse a lot of thought.



2. If Stephen King and J. K. Rowling were drowning in a river, who would you save first? And now you have to tell us why.
Yvonne says: JK Rowling first. Then she could create a spell like Accio King Personus and summon King out of the water. Everyone wins.



3. We authors are voracious readers. My TBR list is approximately 8 miles long. What are you currently reading?
Yvonne says: I currently have a pile of 39 books! I’m reading Wired for Story by Lisa Cron



4. What is the one book that you could read a million times and never get bored with?
Yvonne says: Collected Lyrics of Edna St. Vincent Millay. Beautiful poetry!



5. Last year my favorite read was The Martian by Andy Weir. What was your best read of 2014?
Yvonne says: What to Do Before Your Book Launch by MJ Rose and Randy Susan Meyers (since Pandemic was published that year)



6. This year my favorite read has been The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. What’s the best book you’ve read so far in 2015?
Yvonne says: How to Disappear: Erase Your Digital Footprint, Leave False Trails, and Vanish Without a Trace by Frank Ahearn. It’s research for another novel I’m working on. I swear.



7. You’re a writer by day and a superhero by night. (Take off those geeky glasses Superman) What’s your superpower?
Yvonne says: Organization. Although it can be a form of procrastination, I’m very skilled at it.



8. I have writing spots all over my house: my desk, my couch, the patio, and my bed. Where’s your favorite spot to write?
Yvonne says: Anywhere I can keep an eye on my dogs. ------>
Meredith says: I love them! They're so fluffy!!




9. We’re supposed to love all of our children equally, but there are some scenes I’ve written that really stick out in my mind. Tell us your favorite scene from your book PANDEMIC.
Yvonne says: SPOILER ALERT. Here’s a teaser from one of my favorite scenes from Pandemic.



10. Sometimes a little too much of myself slips into my characters. Which one of your characters most resembles you?
Yvonne says: In Pandemic, Lilianna’s mom is a horrible cook and some of that’s based on my own experience in the kitchen.



11. I’ve always got tunes rocking while I’m writing. Tell us five songs that are on your playlist.
Yvonne says: I have to write in silence! But my five songs for Pandemic would be:
“Breathe” by Ryan Star
“Bent” by Matchbox Twenty
“Not Over You” by Gavin DeGraw
“Everything Has Changed” by Taylor Swift with Ed Sheeran
“Who Knew” by P!nk



12. If you could tell an aspiring author one tiny tidbit of information, what would you say?
Yvonne says: Find a great critique group. Solid advice can transform a story.



Connect with Yvonne!





BIO:

Yvonne Ventresca is the author of PANDEMIC (Sky Pony Press, 2014), winner of the 2015 Crystal Kite Award from the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (Atlantic region). PANDEMIC is a young adult novel about an emotionally traumatized teenager struggling to survive a deadly bird flu outbreak. School Library Journal called PANDEMIC "an engrossing apocalyptic story” and Kirkus Reviews said “this realistic page-turner will keep most readers enthralled.” Yvonne’s other writing credits include a short story in the YA dystopian anthology PREP FOR DOOM (2015), two nonfiction books for teens, AVRIL LAVIGNE (a biography of the singer) and PUBLISHING (about careers in the field), and various articles for teens and adults.


2 comments: