Friday, June 7, 2013

Book Review Time: The Infernal Devices Trilogy



So... I just finished Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices trilogy, 
and now I'm having one of these moments:



I've been looking for a good series to get into, my life hasn't been complete since I finished The Hunger Games Trilogy two years ago and re-read it seven times. It has been time to move on for a while now. After reading a few of the reviews on these books I was skeptical. But the prices for the eBooks ($7-$10) are mid-range and affordable.


Book 1: Clockwork Angel
 I'm not big on some of these supernatural themed books. I've read a few and mostly found myself lost because I didn't understand a lot of what was going on. And I wasn't sure how I felt being transported back in time to Victorian London, but the author helped in this first book, readers are introduced to this new world along with the Shadowhunters with the main character, Tessa, as she searches for her lost brother and learns about this new world.
Overall: 3 out of 5 stars



Book 2: Clockwork Prince I found this second book in the series to be far better than the first. Lot's of mystery and adventure and teenage angst as we learn more about the Shadowhunters and get pulled into an emotional love triangle. I was amazed that all the characters looked so pale and had hair that curled up at the napes of their long, elegant necks. Still, interesting characters, interesting plot and side stories. Overall, good read. Kept me interest, flowed much better than the first book. After reading this I was fully invested, I HAD to know what happened to everyone. So yes, I bought the third as soon as I finished this.
Overall: 4 out of 5 stars 





Book 3: Clockwork Princess 
The third book in this trilogy doesn't skip a beat, we are thrown right back into the adventure of the Shadowhunters as they seek for truths. And then... let the heart-stomping begin. I've said it before and I will say it again, I am a hopeless sap when it comes to love. The author did an excellent job creating a story in which readers can experience the relationships between all the characters and the emotional ties that bind them. That being said I finished the last chapter and I was happy with the result.
And then I read the Epilogue... And then I cried my frigging eyes out. I've never actually cried while reading. I usually save my tears for Disney movies and hangovers. But since I was reading in the dark, and my husband was already sound asleep next to me, I didn't bother holding them in. Go ahead... judge me.
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars (I'm rating this on pure emotion right now and it may change when I get my head back together)


Negatives: The author repeats herself a lot. There were multiple occasions in which I found myself skimming the prose because I had read it already or it sounded too similar to earlier statements.

Re-readability: Lots. I know I shouldn't, but I'm re-reading book one already.

Coverart: Can we say amazing! I found myself interrupting my reading, or pausing when flicking through my Kindle, just to gaze at the cover art. It's intriguing and beautiful and I want to frame it and hang it on my wall.



2 comments:

  1. I've heard of the series... the genre's not my usual sort. I do like those covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually read this genre either, but it was pretty good for YA

      Delete