Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Girl on The Train by Paula Hawkins



This book holds secrets.
There's a lot of darkness. Lots of wondering about what goes on behind closed doors. People wondering about how much they really know a person. And why is this woman riding on a train day after day after day?
And then everything starts getting pieced together via the thoughts of a drunk, an serial adulterer, and a... narcissistic adulterer.
I guess at the end all I have to say is: Don't marry someone you don't know well.
And now lets talk about the sanctity of marriage. Why oh why must everyone be an adultering whore? Why can't people just get married and not sleep around?

I've read a lot of reviews where TGOTT has been compared to Gone Girl.
They're both thrillers but unique in their own way.
By the time I got done reading Gone Girl, the characters morphed throughout the book into people I couldn't stand.
In TGOTT, I couldn't stand the bad people throughout the entire book. I was sad for Rachel, but the rest of the characters were... well, you'll have to read it and find out for yourself.

It was a good read.
But the adultery turned me off big time.
3.8 stars

PS : I always wonder to myself why books like these sell so well. Is it the thrill, the mystery, the drama of crumbling marriages and secrets kept between spouses? Am I the last human on the planet with an ounce of morality?


2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've heard of this one before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William, it's only the #2 selling book in the USA right now.
      (Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman bumped it out of #1)

      Delete